Brothers Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Armed Robbery

Two brothers, 45yrs old John Kuku and 33yrs old Fabu Kuku were yesterday sentenced to death by hanging for armed robbery by an Abeokuta High Court sitting in Isabo.

The convicts, who live on OPIC Estate, Agbara, were found guilty on two counts of conspiracy and armed robbery. In her judgment, Justice Olatokunbo Majekodumi said the convicts were found guilty of the offenses based on shreds of evidence.

She said, “Having found that the accused persons are guilty as charged on both counts, you shall be hung by the neck until you are dead; may the Lord have mercy on you.”
The judge said the offences committed contravened Section 6(b) and were punishable under Section 1(2)( a) of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Law of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
The convicts, who had been standing trial since June 2012, had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The duo were arrested for robbing one Mr. Kojo Debue of N300,000.

Majekodunmi said the convicts and others at large committed the offence at about 12 am at Asaidu village, Ajebo, in the Obafemi-Owode area of Ogun State.

Majekodunmi said the convicts, who were from Cotonou, Republic of Benin, and others robbed the complainant and his family in their house.

She said the duo and one other attacked Debue in the midnight after the complainant’s younger brother, Sunday, who was living with them, opened the door.

Majekodunmi said one of them pointed a gun at the complainant, while the others stole valuables from the house.

The judge said, “During the trial process, the second accused confessed that it was Sunday, the younger brother to the complainant, that invited them.

”He told them that his elder brother was a treasurer of a local contribution group and had up to N1m at home which they should go and steal.

“He said after the robbery, they all fled into a bush when the complainant shouted for help, but the vigilance group in the village rushed inside the bush and searched for them.

“During the search in the bush, the vigilance group shot one of the robbers, Kasim Olajide, in his leg which led to his death.

“They also arrested the other two robbers and handed them over to the police at the Ajebo division, while Sunday was nowhere to be found.”

The prosecution counsel, Mr. O. K. Adeniyi, said all the evidence tendered convinced the court beyond reasonable doubt that the convicts committed the offence.